It felt cool and autumnal this morning, but the stiff southerly wind that had been forecast was absent when I was riding to the start. It picked up and strengthened as the event got underway. :-( It felt like a hard slog pretty much all the way round to me, and most riders went backwards a bit relative to their last time on this course – me included.
Two exceptions were Simon Ward, who was flying, and Simon Walker, who knocked around a minute off his best time. Chapeau, chaps!
Thanks to Dave Schubert for marshalling and putting out and collecting some of the signs, Andy Firth for marshalling for the third time, Paul Marr for timekeeping, and John Tillotson for pushing off. Thanks also to Kev Allen and Chris Goode, who turned up and marshalled a couple of the unattended corners.
That's it for the events we're hosting. However, there's still a handful of events left. There's Paragon's Open 10 at Burton Fleming next Saturday, which you have to have pre-entered; you can't just turn up and ride this one. Then there's a 10 at Brompton at 9am on Sunday 9 Sep, an interclub at Burton Fleming at 10am on Sunday 16 Sep, and a hillclimb up Hackness windings at 9am on Sunday 23 Sep.
1. Simon Ward (SPCC) 59:32 (25.20mph)
2. Simon Walker (SRC) 1:00:30 (24.79mph) PB
3. Dan Joyce (RCC) 1:01:36 (24.35mph)
4. Paul Hickman (MW) 1:03:23 (23.67mph)
5. Paul Warters (YCW) 1:03:41 (23.55mph)
6. Luke Backhouse (SPCC) 1:04:28 (23.27mph)
7. Colin France (SPCC) 1:05:51 (22.78mph)
8. Barrie Cappleman (SPCC) 1:06:38 (22.51mph)
9. Mike Potter (SPCC) 1:06:51 (22.44mph)
10. Brian Ward (SPCC) 1:19:02 (18.98mph)