A good turnout last night at Malton/Pickering for the last of the evening solo 10s, with 26 riders lining up. It was warm and sunny again (what a summer!) but with a blustery breeze that was mostly a crosswind but northerly enough to make it faster out and harder back. And we still had that rough surface dressing to contend with. Times were a little down overall compared to when we were last hear, with a few notable exceptions – Mark Williams, Simon Walker, Colin France, and Dave Bower.
It was good to see Trailblazer coach Jay Townend, who did his first TT on his road bike. He was persuaded to ride by Paul Griffiths, who did a PB-equalling ride of his own on his new-to-him carbon TT bike. I think Ozzy's ride was a PB too, although this time he was a handful of seconds behind mum Katy. It was a good night for the whole family, with Simon Walker smashing his PB. I set off after him and was hoping to catch him but got nowhere near.
Mark Williams had another storming ride, knocking about 40 seconds off his last time on this course, despite using his more puncture-resistant road bike tyres.
No one could challenge Steve Dodds for the win overall, although Pete Roebuck was only 10 seconds back. It's getting tighter at the top.
Thanks as ever to Mick, Elaine, and Mrs Sixsmith for running the event.
The next TT is a 25-miler from Irton next Wednesday (1st Aug), starting at the earlier time of 7pm (so sign-on before 6.45pm). We're running this event, and I'm looking for a couple of volunteers to marshal/time-keep. In particular, I need someone to marshal the main road junction in Snainton, and to pick up a few signs I'll have left at that end of the course. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP. There's only three more RCC-hosted events this season, including this one, and I'd like to ride them as this year's TT competition is tight between Mark and me, so every ride could count.
1. Steve Dodds (SPCC) 21:56 (27.36mph)
2. Pete Roebuck (SRC) 22:06 (27.15mph) Course PB?
3. Matt Purnell (SPCC) 23:00 (26.09mph)
4. John Galway (SRC) 23:06 (25.97mph)
5. Mark Williams (RCC) 23:09 (25.92mph)
6. Dan Joyce (RCC) 23:34 (25.46mph)
7. Kevin Allen (SPCC) 23:50 (25.17mph)
8. Simon Walker (SRC) 23:52 (25.14mph) PB
9. Rob Grainger (SPCC) 24:06 (24.90mph)
10. Colin France (SPCC) 24:34 (24.42mph) PB?
11. Paul Griffiths (RCC) 24:52 (24.13mph) PB?
12. Mike Potter (SPCC) 24:56 (24.06mph)
13. Simon Burnley (SPCC) 25:02 (23.97mph)
14. Jon Dyer (SPCC) 25:04 (23.94mph)
15= Matt Middleton (SPCC) 25:06 (23.90mph)
15= Olly White (SPCC) 25:06 (23.90mph)
17. Barrie Cappleman (SPCC) 25:41 (23.36mph)
18. Richard Sixsmith (SPCC) 25:52 (23.20mph)
19. Dave Bower (RCC) 27:18 (21.98mph) PB
20. Jack McKinley (BCC) 27:31 (21.80mph)
21. Edward Burnley (SPCC, J) 27:52 (21.53mph)
22. Katy Cawthorn (RCC, W) 28:08 (21.33mph)
23. Ben Sixsmith (SPCC) 28:10 (21.30mph)
24. Ozzy Stringer (RCC, J) 28:16 (21.23mph) PB?
25. Jay Townend (RCC) 31:21 (19.14mph) PB
26. Tony Cawthorn (RCC) 35:17 (17.01mph)